Often, family caregivers put their heart, soul, and money into making sure their senior loved ones receive the medical attention and support they require to live safe and healthy lives. If you’re paying for your seniors’ needs out of pocket, you may be able to claim some of those expenses as deductions on your tax returns.
We at Heaven Sent Home Support Services LLC understand that many families are hard-pressed for money right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic. And with the tax season just around the corner, our home care agency in Southfield, Michigan, offers you a couple of tips on how you can claim your elderly parents as dependents.
According to the IRS, a family caregiver can claim an elderly parent as a dependent if they fit into the following criteria:
- Family caregiver paid more than 50% of their loved ones’ care during the calendar year
- Parents’ gross income for the calendar year was less than the exemption amount
- Family caregiver is not a dependent themselves
- Elderly parent isn’t a dependent of another taxpayer
- Elderly parent is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or resident of Canada or Mexico
AT YOUR SERVICE
We do whatever it takes to provide our clients with top-of-the-line home care services in Oakland County, Michigan. This includes thoroughly training our staff to be able to handle the everyday challenges of being a caregiver.
If you or your loved ones should ever require in-home private duty care in Southfield, Michigan, there’s no need to look any further. We’ve got exactly what you need!
Want to learn more about our personal care services in Wayne County, Michigan? Contact us today!