Talking to someone with schizophrenia may seem challenging at times, but it’s possible. You’ll just have to make a few adjustments with how you approach them.
Do you have a loved one with schizophrenia that you really wish to have meaningful conversations with? Heaven Sent Home Support Services LLC has your back.
We’re here to share a few tips that our caregivers use in our In Home Elderly Care assistance in Southfield, Michigan to speak to schizophrenic patients, even when they’re “being difficult”. Take a look:
- Approach them with compassion and gentleness
- Talk to them the way you would “normally” talk to other people
- Actively listen to how your loved one says they’re feeling, sensing, or hearing, regardless if the doesn’t make sense to you.
- If your loved one seems agitated, ask them what you can do to make them feel better at that moment
- Don’t rush. Your loved ones may take a few moments to gather their thoughts before they can reply to your question.
Another important tip is to familiarise yourself with their symptoms. Learn what to do and say when your loved one has hallucinations or delusions. But don’t hesitate to seek out Personal Care Services in Wayne County, Michigan if you find it difficult to cater to your loved one’s needs by yourself.
Schizophrenic patients can become violent at times. So having Home Care Services in Oakland County, Michigan to help deal with those outbursts will be a great investment.